McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children
& Youth - Title X
School District Liaisons
School District Title X Responsibilities
According to the McKinney-Vento Law, each school district must:
- Immediately enroll homeless students in the regular school program despite the lack of transcripts, immunization records, and other documentation.
- Provide transportation to homeless students so that they can remain in their school of origin.
- Supply materials homeless students need to participate in the regular school program and activities.
- Enroll homeless students in free and reduced breakfast and lunch program.
- Identify a Homeless Liaison, who:
- Connects homeless families with available community resources.
- Assists the family or youth efforts to gather documentation typically needed for school and to connect with public health as needed.
- Facilitates the establishment, maintenance, acquisition, and transfer of academic and immunization records for homeless students.
- Coordinates the training of school staff on issues surrounding the education of homeless students and the McKinney-Vento Law.