- A district application for a quality school funding grant authorized under AS14.17.480 must be made on forms prescribed by and available from the department. Applications must be received by the department no later than May 1 for a grant for the following school year. An application must set out the district's annual program plan and budget designed to improve student Achievement through
- implementation of student standards and assessments;
- professional standards;
- family, school, business, and community networks; and
- school excellence standards.
- The department will review each application to ensure that the district's quality school plan includes a practical methodology providing for each of the plan elements required under (a)(1) - (4) of this section. The application must provide a written explanation of
- how the proposed project will contribute to the improvement of student achievement;
- measurable goals and objectives for the project; and
- how the proposed project's effects on student achievement will be demonstrated, measured, and evaluated.
- The commissioner will approve or deny an application based upon a determination of whether the district's plan meets the requirements of (a) and (b) of this section. The department will return an application that has been denied to the district by certified mail along with a written explanation of the reasons for the denial. The district may submit a revised application for reconsideration by the commissioner, to be received by the department no later than 30 days from the date that the district received the initial notice of denial. A district may appeal the denial of its application in accordance with 4 AAC 40.
- Notwithstanding (a) - (c) of this section, a district may apply for a quality school funding grant under AS 14.17.480 of $10,000 or less using the simplified procedures set out in this subsection. The application may be made by electronic communication or by using the form prescribed by and available from the department under (a) of this section. The application must be sent to the commissioner and set out the district's statement for the district's use of the quality school funding grant. The application must be received by the commissioner no later than May 1 for a grant for the following school year. The commissioner will approve the application under this subsection unless the commissioner finds that the application will not further quality in the public school. If an application is denied under this subsection, the district may submit a revised application or an appeal of the denial using the procedures set out in (c) of this section.