National Board Certification
The Department of Education & Early Development Office of Teacher Education and Certification offers Alaska teachers the opportunity to receive a subsidy from the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS). The subsidy covers up to $1000 of the $2500 total cost of participation in portfolio preparation and assessment for National Board Certification.
Prior to August 31, priority for subsidies will be given to candidates from Title I Schools in the areas of English/Language Arts, Science, Mathematics and Generalist.
After August 31, subsidy applications will be reviewed and granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Applications must be received by the Teacher Certification Office no later than December 28, 2012.
To be eligible for the subsidy, you must:
- hold a current Alaska Type A or TII Professional Teaching certificate endorsed in the category and developmental level in which you seek National Board Certification;
- have at least three (3) years of classroom teaching experience in Alaska with a valid Type A or TII Professional Teacher certificate;
- be under contract to teach in an Alaska school district for the 2012-2013 school year and assigned to teach in the category and developmental level in which you desire National Board Certification
- be able to take the assessment center portion of the certification in Anchorage or a center in the Lower 48 during the testing window; and
- have a National Board Candidate Identification Number. Contact NBPTS to apply.
- be applying for the subsidy for the first time (subsidies will only be granted once per individual).
If you are interested in receiving a $1,000 National Board Certification candidate subsidy and meet the eligibility requirements above, please submit an application to:
Teacher Education and Certification: NBPTS
Alaska Teacher Education & Certification
PO Box 110500
801 W. 10th St, Suite 200
Juneau, Alaska 99811-0500
More information concerning the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards is available at http://www.nbpts.org/
If you have any questions, please e-mail email@example.com.